After a bad BIOS flash (or better, a flash of a bad BIOS, ghgh) on my Dell Mini 9 I started searching for a recovery procedure using Phoenix BIOS Crisis Recovery Disk.
But this tool requires an USB floppy drive, as seen on Mydellmini forum. Being this hardware quite hem… legacy+unuseful I managed to create a USB pen drive image that will restore the netbook with the very latest A05 BIOS.
- Download the USB pen drive image here and unzip the file.
- Copy the A05.DD image to your usb pen, using dd on linux:
dd if=A05.DD of=/dev/sdX
replace X with your correct device, of course. Haven’t tried, but this may work also with dd for windows.
Then start the recovery procedure:
- Remove battery and power adapter;
- Confirm USB pen drive is plugged in;
- While pressing and holding Fn & B keys, attach power adapter plug. The power lights will momentarily blink and your Mini will beep once;
- Continue to hold Fn & B and press the power button;
- Release the keys once USB pen drive begins reading (your pendrive led starts blinking);
- Your Mini will beep continually until the flash is completed and reboots.
Note: the display is not available during this process.